Halal Meat

Thursday, September 30, 2010 Posted by Soraya Zainal
This afternoon I read an article shared by a friend on Facebook regarding halal meat sold in UK. You can read it here.

After reading the articles, I belief that most of the concerns are raised due to their Islamophobia (I am not interested to deliberate this issue here). Not because of their concern on the animals well being. 

Macam jijik sangat nak makan daging hasil sembelihan orang Islam.

Just because we slaughtered the animals alive, it doesn't mean that the animal suffer before their death. 

According to Islamic method, the animal must be slaughtered by a very sharp knife and it must be done as fast as we can because we did not want the animal to feel the pain. The request to compulsorily stunned the animal before slaughtering was rejected by the UK government because it was not scientifically proven to reduce the amount of pain from the animal.

You can read more about it here:
  1. http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/an/an_slaughter.htm
  2. http://www.themuslimwoman.com/hertongue/HalalWay.htm
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah
I never ate anything non-halal (as far as I know) before, but I belief it taste the same. Anybody cared to share their opinion in this issue?

Another thing, we are not allowed to eat the meat from a slaughtered animal if we feel sympathy to them before the slaughtering procedure. Selalu kan dengar orang cakap "Jangan makan kalau kesian". It always happened during public slaughtering during Raya Qurban. I am not sure whether it is really haram or it is a tradition.

Kalau aku, orang cakap kesiannya arnab comel tu nak kena sembelih.. aku dah terbayang arnab panggang BBQ

Heartless.. I know :P

I traveled to quite a few countries in these last few years. I still observe my meat halal status everytime I traveled and I always return to Malaysia meat deprived. All because I was too lazy to find a halal restaurant every time I wanted to have a meal. So, I resolved on being a vegetarian then because to find Halal restaurant when you don't have a car and a GPS can be quite tedious.

Travel tips: Visit Zabihah.com for Halal food guide.

Thank god I love salads.

It explains why I went to Seoul Garden right after coming back from UK to enjoy my red meat. Heheh...

Can you imagine eating the plain and almost tasteless egg/vegetarian burger while the person besides you ate gooey, yummy Big Mac?


I am a meat-eater. I love red meats, beef or mutton alike. I even ordered my sirloin steak medium/medium rare. As long as it is not bloodied, I am in!

When I was in Hong Kong, a friend voiced her concern on the "halal" restaurant we chose as there was a bar inside that "halal" restaurant. Do you know what I replied? 

"Alaa, selama ni malam minggu kita hangout kat Alexis, Hard Rock, Luna, Skybar.. kau tak pernah concern pon nak tanye status halal dia?"

Hehe
Labels:
  1. Even when unconcious, people feel pain kalo kena stab. Guna stun gun je pun. Bukan euthanasia.

    Ape yang die orang insulted is the idea that we give prayers to God before the meat.

  2. yerp. tapi kalau euthanasia, tak guna dah sembelih tu. konfem tak halal nye.