LA Experience, Part One: Santa Monica

Monday, June 28, 2010 Posted by Soraya Zainal
First of all, I am not very well prepared for this trip. No confirmed itinerary , but I have like 1000 places that I wanted to cramp into this 1 week holiday. Heheh.. Most of the day, we only decide where to go on the morning itself and Santa Monica was our first destinations.

We went to Santa Monica early on Saturday morning, 12th June 2010.

Why? I read the review about the beach and the Third Street Boulevard shopping... While we were driving along the street, I saw one of the street was closed for Farmer's Market. Eh, macam best jeee...

(Later when we were back at our rented apartment, I googled about the Farmer's Market. Rupanye it was one of the main attraction at Santa Monica. Heheh... Tengok, betapa tak ready nye aku nak berholiday?)

The Farmer's Market was great with its vibrant colours of organically grown produce from the local farm. There was flowers, fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, eggs, pets.. Everything was fresh and tempting. I was told that chefs from top restaurants flocked themselves to this market early in the morning to get the best crop for their kitchen. Huhuh...

The pictures are not in timely order and there was not much picture to begin with. I was too busy sightseeing and "enjoying" the chilly breeze... hehehe :P

View of Santa Monica's beach from the rooftop of  the 7-story parking building. 
What a gloomy morning... Huhu...


This was taken in the morning. I was only clad with a tee and capri jeans when the first breeze hit me. 

Brrrrrr.... sejukkkkkkkkkk!! No, the shawl did not help at all and I was trying my best to smile while shivering in cold air... and it was a freaking summer weather.

The crowd at Farmer's Market

Random pictures

Rows of fresh strawberries. There was another stall selling berries. Blueberries, blackberries and etc.. and cherries too but I can't find the photo. Isk..

A closer look. Slurppppp........ We buy 3 boxes of this strawberries for 8 dollars and it was worth it.

Fresh mushrooms. If this mushroom was sold in our normal Pasar Tani, I will be their faithful customer.

Then... we stumbled into this stall. Aquafarm, what the heck was that?

Then, we went nearer...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Tadaaaa...

They sell oysters!

Clean, fresh and very tasty looking oyster. It was priced at 2 dollars each. Quite pricey if it was converted to RM but we just didn't care about the exchange rate at that time. 

We buy about a dozen oysters and the stall owner cracked it open for us. Seriously, it was the best oyster I ever taste. Sampai harini boleh meleleh air liur kalau teringat. Damnnn....

The owner was preparing our oysters.


Do you see the difference between these oysters and the one that was served here? 

I was told by them that there was a sweet kind kind of oyster, which I really loved and the salty oyster that tasted like seawater.

(I am an oyster fanatic. I can wallop at least 5 oysters every time I saw them served in any buffet. Heheh...)

Artichoke. I never thought they were this big.


Fresh herbs for the garden.

It there was no 23 hours flight barrier between LAX and KLIA, I will buy them for my kitchen. I was always dreaming to have a kitchen like Jamie Oliver's. The fresh herbs are always available by the window sill.


Organically dried fruit. Free tasting, so you know how kiasu us Asians can be right? 

That was the kind stall owner who just let us taste every sun dried fruit that he sell. Haiihhh, again.. there is no pictured of the sun dried fruit. Maybe I was not my usual click-click self there :P



My mom with the juiciest strawberry. Heheh... seriously sangat sedap.

Me with the half eaten strawberries. 

Thank god for the black shawl, if I was wearing white like my mother... surely it will be smeared with red dots from the strawberry juice. Yes, it was that juicy :D


This was the last pictures taken that day before we went *ehem* shopping *ehem* at Third Street Boulevard.

It was a touristy street with almost all major stores along the street offering discounted items and there was always street performance everywhere. 

They was showing the World Cup, USA vs England match that day so it was funny watching English lads camping outside their English themed pubs and at the other side the Americans cheering their team.

But, diorang takde lah pulak gaduh-gaduh bakar kerusi, emo-emo... Mungkin sebab diorg seri kot. Heheh...

Random pictures: A can of coke with World Cup themed I bought when we transit at Bangkok. 4 fingers on every hand to grab the ball. Heheh


P/s: I was traveling with my mother. So, please do not expect a travel log full with  fast-paced adventures. This holiday was tailored for my mother's comfort :)


Labels: ,
  1. Best tu Farmer's Market!

    Hehehe.

    Kenkadang artist2 Hollywood pon ramai pegi Farmer's Market.

  2. Best tu.. banyak lagi benda menarik, tapi tak amik gamba. heheh

  3. stoberi gemok2 di sana! kalo kat cameron highland, alah, nak makan pon kesian...