#014 - Popularity

Thursday, July 15, 2010 Posted by Unta@Jitra
Oh yeah... miss lagi... I guess I'll recieve the smallest piece of a pie laa kot nanti hehe

So today's lecture. High School Popularity.

Rozie and me always had this interesting pillow talk that would take hours of intense story telling and laughter. Since she was like from the ever famous Kolej Tunku Kurshiah and I was like from an unknown SBP from Perlis (ever heard of Kangar? Yeah it was situated in Perlis, you know, north of Kedah, yeah Padang Besar, pandaiii), we always have this popularity contest story.

From a 1-10 scale, 1 being teh INVISIBLE and 10 being the most POPULAR student in high school, I rated myself at 5, while my Rozie rated herself at almost 3.

See, we were not a famous student at school... at all.

I was a basketballer in high school. Most school will regard this sport as the top tier of awesomeness and popular, but sadly, we were in shadows. Mainly because we were not that great and it used to be ridiculed for being a 'sutun' type of game, thanx to the older senior players that you know, a bit lembut. So no marks there in the popular scale. Our batch revamped the whole team with more muscular like tanks players but only for a year, basketball was moving from low to top tier.

We didn't manage to fully enjoy the popularity.

I was not in a the Blue brazer Prefect gang. Popular, yes but hated so much. I was not in the newly formed Majlis Perwakilan Pelajar or Student Council. Most celebrated and popular because they like to champion our needs, like, "abolish the tasteless biskut 4segi!! We demand cekodok" that kinda thing. Badan beruniform? I was in Kadet Bomba, the lamest, the most inactive unformed bodies (amiright?) in the school. The most popular was Kadet Tentera, with their active schedule every week, green uniform and all, M16 training.

Debate? Bahas? The top contenders for popularity in Academic Clubs was English Club and Persatuan Bahasa Melayu. Debate and Bahas was always in schedule throughout a year. I was not in both of them. I rather took my highly engineered brain to Persatuan Kemahiran Hidup, which was, another inactive club lol!

So there you have it. Whoever scores all four was the ultimate popular guy/girl. Being popular had its ups and downs as well. Girls like you, but you have the eyes from the teachers as well so a no-no with the all the nakal2 things we, the unpopulars, always did. Things like Lompat Pagar, smoking etc :D

And yeah, the populars would always have their thick folder of certs, a damn good resume, and mostly always had landed in a good college. While we the unpopulars, will always try to beat them in real world. Nah kidding, the term popular would surely fade away once we were mature enough, leaving a clean slate in the next 10-15 years when we meet back for reunion etc.

True? :D
Labels:
  1. nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com.. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

  2. huhu sampai sekarang not sure whether i'm popular or not in skool. but then again, saya bersekolah harian biase sahaja, so mungkin hal populariti ini tidak timbul? (eh ye ke?) ah, tak kisah lah.. janji kawan2 masih ingat siapa kite. kalau org lain x kenal pun xpelah.. huhu.. (pasrah)

  3. Mase sekolah, i am average kot. sebab i never got the chance to be popular.

    Once a TKCian too, but because i came in during Form 4. Nothing I can do can make me popular. Besides, I was too nerdy, geeky (School webmaster?) and naive that time.

    HuhU~~